Senior Suggestions for Students

Abby VanMeter, Staff Writer

We all know school can become overwhelming in addition to life in general, but its okay, you will get through this, and you can even have a little fun along the way. Here are 8 pieces of advice that I, a graduating senior, wish I followed earlier.

1. Become friends with your teachers!

Glacier peak objectively has the best staff. Once you get to know your teachers, even if it is just slightly on a more personal basis, you will learn that school isn’t so scary. Your teachers are there to help and guide you and they can become people that will help shape the rest of your life. Not only is it good to be friendly, but it may help you become more successful in class because you will learn to actually enjoy it.

2. Sit with different people at lunch!

I know its hard to break out of the habit of sitting with the same group every day, but you will be glad you branched out in the end. Sitting with new people allows you to create new friendships and possibly make someone’s day, week, or more. Nobody wants to sit alone; be the change you want to see in the cafeteria and do what you would want somebody else to do if you were sitting at a table alone.

3. Join clubs and extra curriculars!

This is something I definitely wish I did more of. Clubs are such a fun way to get involved and the people that are apart of them will normally have similar interests which creates a great basis for a friendship. The friends you make from clubs could be your friends all throughout high school and possibly lifelong friends.

4. Learn the fight song!

Some of my best memories of school consist of screaming the fight song at the top of my lungs after a game changing touchdown, or after winning a crazy game. When singing the fight song, you feel connected to everyone cheering in the student section. You get to be apart of the crazy grizzly spirit.

5. Go to the sporting events!

Sporting events are such a fun way to break out of the routine that is hours of school and homework. You get the opportunity to show your grizzly spirit and prove that we are the best student section! We are loud, and proud, and positive.

6. Don’t be afraid to make new friends!

Meeting new people is scary, but only having friends from elementary or middle school is scarier. Once you graduate and get into the “real world” it will be harder to make friendships, so use your 4 years at GP as practice! You may find a lifelong best friend in someone you didn’t expect!

7. Don’t pressure yourself into taking on too many AP classes!

School is already stressful, but AP classes can end up being too much to handle. A good thing to remember is that colleges don’t look at a weighted GPA, and although its nice to see that you are taking difficult classes, don’t sacrifice your GPA for them.

8. Dress up for spirit days!

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is too cool to dress up for spirit days. Spirit days are a chance to be apart of something bigger than yourself. The school spirit isn’t something to be ashamed about. Being involved and creating a fun environment for yourself is huge! Your mindset will determine whether or not you enjoy your high school experience.