Down to the Seconds

Emma Bollinger, Staff Writer

A Monday night showdown between two undefeated teams was Glacier Peak’s Girls Basketball team for the taking. Being ranked 5th in state and going up against Arlington ranked 6th in state, was a tough battle that came down to the final seconds and the sweet sound of the buzzer signaling victory. With only about half the student section filled, there was an eruption of excitement letting Arlington know ‘we battled to the last drop of sweat and dribble of the ball.’ With the score a close 61-58 the Glacier Peak Girls Basketball team extend their standings to 6-0 overall. “We knew it was going to be a tough game because we are identical teams,” guard Natalie Rasmussen said, “They have the same techniques and strengths as we do.” Throughout the whole game the point deficit was close but Arlington had the lead the whole game, until the fourth quarter that it is. “Going into the fourth quarter we came out ready to go and we trapped them into giving us turn overs,” sophomore Sam Fatkin said. “In the end we changed our defense and it changed our momentum.” The Grizzlies showed everyone who was watching and especially the Eagles that they will fight until the sound of the buzzer. Sam Fatkin led the team as player of the game and also had many take-aways in the last quarter that allowed the grizzlies to gain some crucial points, “The feeling of getting the turnovers was irreplaceable,” Fatkin said, “It’s crazy when getting player of the game but I really couldn’t have done anything without my teammates.” The game ended in an astonishing finish. With five seconds left on the clock the score was at 59-58 and Natalie Rasmussen set the bar high when making two free throws making the score 61-58 and Arlington could not get it done. The Grizzlies’ have two more games this week before the start of winter break against Meadowdale at MHS on Wednesday and Shorecrest at home on Friday for a Silent Night game.