Playing in the Big Leagues

Photo by Bella Azar

Madi Weaver, Staff Writer

As their successful regular season came to an end, the Varsity team has entered playoffs and so have freshmen Nicole Jensen and Abbigail Juozapaitis. Jensen (5’6”) and Juozapaitis (5’7″) are both shooting guards on the JV team but they have been called up to the Varsity team for playoffs, and they could not be more excited.

When Varsity coach Brian Hill and Junior Varsity coach Jon Rasmussen invited the two freshman girls to suit up for district and state games both girls were elated. “I had a smile on my face and I was really excited,” Juozapaitis said.

The Varsity team has played two district games against Ferndale and Arlington. Both games were neck and neck, but the girls pulled ahead defeating Ferndale 78-71 and Arlington 63-55. “I played in the Ferndale game for 10 seconds. I was nervous but it was fun,” Juozapaitis said. The girls’ win against Arlington guaranteed them a spot in the district championship and a state regional game. Saturday the 21st the girls face Lynnwood for the third time this year to determine the district champions. “We lost to Lynnwood first, then we beat them so hopefully we beat them again,” Juozapaitis said. After the district championship the girls will compete in a state regional game to determine whether they will play at the Tacoma Dome. Jensen and Juozapaitis are thrilled at the possible chance they have to participate with the Varsity team. “I am excited to be able to cheer on the team and be a part of it,” Jensen said.

The Tacoma Dome would be a new experience for the freshmen, and a majority of the team, but also an incredible opportunity. “Dino keeps saying ‘don’t pee your pants if I ever put you in!’” Jensen said.

Outcome of the district championships: the girls’ lost 48-42 in a tight battle against Lynnwood. Their first state game is Saturday the 28th at Bellevue Community College.