Becoming an Inspiration

Becoming an Inspiration

Lexi Little, Staff Writer

Spending countless hours hitting against a wall, weeks of dripping sweat at camps, and pressure coming from every angle, Lauren Sanders has used these experiences to beat the odds.

Fifth grade was the year that her parents pushed her to try volleyball,  because of her extraordinary height. “They did kind of force me into it, but I’m glad they did,” Sanders said.

From that point on Sanders knew she had to make a decision; use her height to her advantage. “Seventh grade was when I started club, and when I really got serious about volleyball,” she said, “My dad didn’t have to push me as hard this time,” the 6′ 5″ blocker said chuckling.

Her freshman year, Sanders made the varsity volleyball team, and some colleges began to take a look at her. Nerves weren’t a big problem for her though, “I saw the scouts from different schools on the sidelines and it just motivated me. Pushed me to do better,” she said.

This past year Sanders had a big decision to make. She took time out of her school year to visit colleges and meet coaches. When it came down to it, she chose the University of Washington. Even though many schools wanted her, she was drawn to the Husky atmosphere. “I had a bunch of reasons that I picked UW. It’s close to home, I absolutely love the coaches, and I’ve grown up around the UW team, so it’s perfect,” Sanders said.

Sanders has a bright future in front of her. “I feel as if I have been given amazing opportunities, and I should work my hardest to use them to the best of my ability. I want to be a role model for people in my sport, and I believe I can do that by working hard for my success, on and off the court.”